The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has scheduled the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise for Edo and Ondo states to hold from Wednesday, 22nd to Sunday, 26thJune, 2016. The five-day exercise will provide an opportunity for the following eligible category of the citizens of Edo and Ondo states to register:
- Those who were eligible but did not register before the 2015 General Elections;
- Those who are eligible but whose names are not in the Register of Voters; and
- Those who have attained the age of 18 (eighteen) years since the last voter registration exercise.
The CVR exercise will take place at the Registration AreaCentres/Wards level. It will also commence daily (during the scheduled five days) from 9.00am to 4.00pm.
Every person who is qualified for registration and who has presented himself/herself for registration shall be registered with the following:
- The registrant’s name;
- The registrant’s age;
- The registrant’s gender;
- The registrant’s occupation;
- Address within the area;
- The registrant’s phone number and or e-=mail address (Optional);
- The registrant’s photograph;
- The name of the State where registration is taking place;
- The name of the Local Government Area/Area Council of registration;
- Name and code number of the registration unit;
- The registrant’s ten fingerprints; and
- National identity card number (where available).
Please note that:
- No person shall register in more than one registration centre, or register more than once in the same registration centre;
- Any person who registers in more than one registration centre commits an offence, and is liable to prosecution;
- Only eligible voters who have registered and have their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) will be allowed to vote in the Edo and Ondo Governorship elections scheduled for Saturday, 10th September and Saturday, 26th November, 2016, respectively; and
- The Smart Card Reader (SCR) will be deployed to verify and authenticate eligible voters during accreditation for the two elections.
TRANSFER OF REGISTERED VOTERS
At any time during the continuous registration of voters, an applicant may apply to the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the State where the voter is currently resident through the Registration Officer to be transferred to a new constituency, provided that this is done not later than 45 days before the dates of the two governorship elections.
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION (INEC)